Monday, April 16, 2012

Bar Mitzvah Reflections

On Saturday I had my Bar Mitzvah. The whole thing felt really special.

Most of my prayers and speeches went well and other people's speeches were very nice and thoughtful.

Everyone had advice for me.  My mom said I should always be myself.  My dad said I have a great community and I should use their support.  My grampa on my dad's side said I was like a plant, I have a good root system and healthy new growth.  My grandma recited poetry that had good wisdom.  My other grampa said I should steer true in terms of my dreams and values.
It was really great having everyone saying how great I was instead of saying what I am doing wrong. Afterwards we ate and played and then went to the beach. It was pretty fun most of the time.

I also got quite a bit of birthday money.  I got enough to be able to buy a laptop without dipping into my savings that much.  I am also exited about all the other gifts I got.  Thank you!

A special thanks to Rabbi Greenbaum, Rabbi Barenbaum and Harriet Kroot for helping me prepare even though they couldn't come.

When you were Bar Mitzvahed a long time ago it meant you were a man.  But I do not think I am going to be a man for at least 1 or 2 years. :)

Eli

(Editor's note: Thanks to Uncle Allen for the great pictures above.  Photo booth pictures by Moses Ceaser/ Fotomio -- http://www.fotomio.com/ -- can be viewed and downloaded here:http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/fotomio/EliBarMitzvah )

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Eli! We're so proud of you! I wish I could have been there -- I heard you did an excellent job.

    Love,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete